L .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ramblings of a Misguided Blonde

A fun, relaxing place to rant, rave, highlight interesting finds on the web, and initiate discussion on topics large and small. You may not agree, but you won't be bored! Take a look, feel free to comment, and enjoy your stay. You will also find several resources for creating your own website, blog, and web identity.

Join Associated Content Check out my published content!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Sunday, June 12, 2005

You Can ALWAYS Go Home Again!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I came across this pic in the Michigan bucket of TrekEarth and really intrigued me.
Somehow, it just struck me as absolutely being from MICHIGAN, nowhere else on this planet.
It could have been any lone road that I traveled growing up. Heck, it could have been the road I grew up on in Standish/Sterling/Omer (more on that later...). I'd be lying if I didn't say that it make me really, really homesick.

After 5 years of studying at Michigan State, half of which was spent studying abroad or gaining work experience across the country (Minnesota and Texas), in addition of spending my first year in the "real" world living and working in the hell hole they call Houston, I am tired, broke, and ready to spend time with family.

They almost all live in Michigan - mid-Michigan to be precise - and my Mom's side is very close. Add to that my newly acquired family, Brian's (all in Bay City - Bay Shitty), and you have every reason to miss it!

Did I mention my baby brother? He is starting 9th grade this fall and is in every imaginable sport. He inherited all of the athletic ability I was supposed to inherit from our Dad. Garrett ended up with his fair share too! Who knows? He might even up a better high school athlete than our Dad! OUCH! No, my Dad would be proud!

I have already missed so much of Garrett's growing up, I want to be there for him while he is high school. Both Brian and I want to spend time with our Grandmothers, who we absolutely adore... I am really close with my Grandma Reid (Dad's Mom) and I worry about her a lot. The cool thing is, Brian and I have been able to dig a little into my Grandmother's life out here in Texas (Forth Worth to be exact) during WWII.

Everything we learned has only left me with more questions and I want to learn it from her - talk to her about Grandpa Russell and Eddy (both of whom died before I was born). In addition, I know Brian loves helping out his Grandmother. She prays every night that we return. Also, my Mom's parents aren't doing so well. My Grandpa Buttrick has had heart issues for a long time now and Grandma just found out that she has diabetes.

Anyway, I never thought that I would ever become so terribly homesick. I can only hope my parents can understand what is going on in my life and realize that I am doing my best to create the life I want to live. I crave the stability that I had in my childhood. Now being an "adult," I realize all that my parents went through creating that life for Erica, Garrett, and I. We were very lucky :-)

Not to mention, as I get into planning our wedding, it will be nice to be near where it will all take place, all of the people that will make it very special!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The Mighty Mack! Hopefully Brian and I will get up to the UP (Upper Peninsula for all of you not from Michigan) sometime this fall. Brian is absolutely fascinated with the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald. It will have been exactly thirty years ago on November 10 of this year that she sank off of White Fish Point.

I have to admit, his curiosity and downright obsession rubbed off on me as well.

More later on the little Buttrick cousins...

Love,

Lindsey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket