L .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ramblings of a Misguided Blonde

A fun, relaxing place to rant, rave, highlight interesting finds on the web, and initiate discussion on topics large and small. You may not agree, but you won't be bored! Take a look, feel free to comment, and enjoy your stay. You will also find several resources for creating your own website, blog, and web identity.

Join Associated Content Check out my published content!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Sunday, August 13, 2006

WW III: Another 9/11 Prevented - 2

Please bare with me as this particular post will cover a lot of ground. Things appear to be happening daily now.

First off, let me include some articles that are left over from my last post. Very interesting reading!

Israel is losing World War III - Haaretz - Israel News

An accurate assessment of the current situation. Again, the writer draws parallel with the days leading up to WW II.

The last paragraph really got me:

Our job now is to survive.

If the Second World War taught the Jews anything, it is this: History is not, fundamentally, written by its victors. History is written, and made, by its survivors. Hezbollah knows this. All they have to do to declare victory, is to survive. The survival of the Jews is our victory as well. But we're going to have be a whole lot smarter than we have been, to come out of this.


TexasSparkle: World War III?

This article offers an accurate description of how our inaction during the 1990s, on part of both Democrats and Republicans, has not helped the current situation - to say the very least.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to equate Newt Gingrich with Bill Clinton, but hey, the writer has her points. She makes a good point with regards to her support for President Bush; however, I think President Bush needs to more clearly define the current situation for the American people. In all honesty, I believe he is starting to take that course as he referred to Islamofascism for the first time the other day. For once, he defined the threat, not a random "War on Terror."

Is this the start of World War III? | Jerusalem Post

An interesting look at the US support for Israel. Does anyone else notice the conspicuous omission? I challenge you to discover it for yourself and send me a comment on it. I'll write about it later, but in the meantime, I dare you to point out the obvious, which gets at the heart of what I'm discussing, why I'm discussing this subject, so on, so forth.

Big Dick's Place

CAUTION! LOTS AND LOTS OF ADULT LANGUAGE AND VIOLENCE.

That having been said, I was unsure as to whether or not I should include this entry I found. While I feel that the writing is crass, and that he goes way too far in his solution to the current problem, I think that he defined the situation correctly. Let's just say that I want this guy on my side!

HAT TIP: Thanks DADvocate for highlighting my little blog! It is good to know that sensible, family-oriented people are still out there.

For those of you who don't know, DADvocate tackles a wide-range of subjects, many of which surround daily life with his kids in the Midwest.

Ok, now that I have all of that out of the way, I'm going to tackle the current events here in the great (although economically depressed) state of Michigan, which has been my home for approx. 22 out of my 25 years. Well, yesterday a couple of guys were arrested in the small town of Caro, Michigan for purchasing dozens of pre-paid cell phones at WalMart. They are suspected terrorists. According to the lastest information (and I will correct this if more information becomes available), they were assisting in a plot to blow up the Mackinaw Bridge. Then, today, in the small town of Ithaca, Michigan, other people where arrested doing the same thing at a Dollar General store - although it is unclear as to whether or not it was related to the same plot.

These incidents have really hit home as Caro is very close to where I live. I just hope that people in Michigan wake-up soon! The fact that we have a large, unsecured border with Canada doesn't help. What is going on here just underscores the fact that people need to be vigilant no matter where they live. After 9/11, Brian was privy to some information of what went on that day as a close relative worked with the air force at Selfridge International Guard base. I'm not going to share it here as part of the information that was once common knowledge has now been kept confidential, and for good reason. My point for including that tidbit is this: There are a lot more targets than you'd think. Everyone needs to be vigilant and realize that our country is at risk.

Much more later.

Lindsey

2 Comments:

At 7:10 PM, Blogger Cousin Pat said...

I'm not sure what the omission is, so I'm not even gonna embarass myself with a guess.

Those two articles from Haaretz and the JP spoke volumes, however. Even Israelis are concerned that the tactics being applied are not being applied correctly or strategically to acheive the goal: freedom from terror. To come out on top of this thing, we need to clearly state our strategic goals and then figure out the best ways to achieve them.

Call me crazy, but I think the Big Dick article is off its rocker. We didn't round up all American white Christian males in response to the the Klan back in the 60's, the Oklahoma City bombing, the Unabomber or Eric Rudolph, those guys who dragged James Byrd behind their truck until his body disentigrated or those folks that hauled off to torture and execute Matt Sheppard in Wyoming. Those were terrorists too, one and all, which is why all (or most of) the perpetrators were hunted down and jailed or executed.

What folks like Big Dick are suggesting is that we are going to be engaging in a protracted military engagement with a insurgent population for the next 20-30 years. Now, if that needs to happen, that needs to happen (though I do not agree with BD's assessment at all), and we'd better start militarizing our society right now for the long fight, and folks in charge need to start telling it like it is.

Because, if this needs to be done, the long term, invasion, destruction and occupation of the Middle East, then we need a debate on what that means, and we need it right now.

We need to know that the draft will be reinstated, that millions of our young people (like me) are going to be folded into the ranks and that college will be an option once the war has been won. Draft dogers should expect to be imprisoned, deserters should expect to be shot.

Gasoline rationing will take effect, as will food rationing. Our consumer-driven society will ground to a halt. Technology industries will become militarized. Bonds will need to be bought, and a new Marshall Plan created to rebuild those nations we will have to level during the course of this war, and our allies who go in on our side who may face retaliation. Auto plants in Detroit and shipbuilding plants across the country will need to spool up to make the tools necessary to win.

We will need to consider what side Europe and NATO will come in on; Russia, India and China; Africa; Canada, Australia & New Zealand. We cannot invade, occupy and hold the Middle East and the Muslim world without knowing where those chips fall, and getting the overwhelming share of them on our side. God help us if any one of those groups I mentioned actually decides to line up against us.

We have to get real in talking about this as World War III, and there are far more factors to consider here than just the ones we are looking at now.

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger russelllindsey said...

Well, Mr. Armstrong, thank you for taking such an interest in my blog. Your take on the situation is certainly insightful. For the most part, I agree with your assessment of Big Dick's blog. I certainly don't believe that we need to round up all Muslims.

I also agree with you with regards to rationing of gasoline, food, etc. If we are to become involved in a long, drawn-out war, it needs to happen. In fact, personally, I'm glad that politicians in the US are finally calling the enemy by name - Islamofascism. In my opinion, The War on Terror is too vague and skirts the issue, kind of like the War on Drugs or the War on Poverty.

I believe that thinking is what Newt Gingrich was citing when he decided to start calling the current situation World War III. As I indicated earlier, I don't believe that it has reached that point yet. Unfortunately, I wish I could be as certain as you that we won't become involved in a long, drawn-out war that will necessitate rationing.

I just hope to keep on top of what is going on.

By the way, I don't think that you're crazy at all.

Lindsey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket