L .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ramblings of a Misguided Blonde

A fun, relaxing place to rant, rave, highlight interesting finds on the web, and initiate discussion on topics large and small. You may not agree, but you won't be bored! Take a look, feel free to comment, and enjoy your stay. You will also find several resources for creating your own website, blog, and web identity.

Join Associated Content Check out my published content!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Friday, March 28, 2008

Rachel Lucas Gets It Right

As a woman who is five foot even and has struggled her entire life with her weight, I can really identify with this article. I wish we could see more women like this in advertisements, in pageants, etc. I'm sick of seeing stick figures supposedly representing the ideal of female beauty.

This article even goes on to tackle the hypocrisy in the sizing of women's clothes. Nothing ever seems to fit right, and I have several different sizes in my closet that all fit. When can we finally get around to valuing women for their brains instead of their bodies? I know I won't see it in my lifetime, but one can hope. I'm sick of being treated as "ugly" because I'm short, fat, and not blonde (no, I'm no longer a blonde - shocked?). While I certainly come nowhere close to the societal ideal, I'm far from being truly ugly, and I see women every day who are twice as fat as I am. When I "thought" that I was fat four years ago, I was actually very average. I just didn't realize it. Instead, I took it out on my body and truly became fat. I really need to get serious about getting back to where I once was. Most men don't realize how hurtful comments on weight are.

A couple of weeks ago, my Mom made a comment on my weight. She felt so terrible about it that she was almost in tears when I called her back the next day. She essentially said that she should certainly know better. What was funny was the fact that her stating the obvious didn't even register. Other comments she made during that conversation stayed with me, but not that one. Yet, she worked herself into a frenzy over it. We really need to reevaluate our whole stigma attached to weight and height, not to mention female beauty. I'm sick of people acting as though short, fat people don't deserve respect. Do people really think that I chose to be short and fat? I don't think so. Yes, I can do something about my weight, but I can't do anything about my height.

Funny. Every time this subject comes up, I think of the Simpsons episode where Lisa becomes concerned about her weight. I laughed at the Saks Fifth Grade "trimming down the thighs, trimming down the thighs" bit, but it is way too close to the truth. That's what makes the Simpsons great.

Lindsey

Rachel Lucas » Blog Archive » Yep…a real porker.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket