L .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ramblings of a Misguided Blonde

A fun, relaxing place to rant, rave, highlight interesting finds on the web, and initiate discussion on topics large and small. You may not agree, but you won't be bored! Take a look, feel free to comment, and enjoy your stay. You will also find several resources for creating your own website, blog, and web identity.

Join Associated Content Check out my published content!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Monday, February 25, 2008

What is on the Soundtrack to Your Life? Continued...

OK. Before I get to highlighting my musical tastes in college and today, there are a couple of things that need to be said. First off, I spent nearly half of my college education studying abroad. I am what they call a "repeat offender." I took every opportunity to travel, work, and see the world during those years. There were three constants that traveled with me: my journal, my books, and my portable CD player (I forgot to add in Brian too, but that's a whole other ball of wax). Music, reading, and writing were my companions. In addition, during my last year at Michigan State University, I was a disc jockey trainee for their online radio station - The FIX. My only regret is that I didn't discover the FIX earlier. Music dominated my life during this period (There is more to the story; I'll add another post later).

Now for our feature presentation:

Summer of 1999 - This summer will always be a summer of transition in my book. I had just graduated from high school and was preparing to leave for Michigan State University. As a result, this summer set itself apart.

"American Pie" by Don McLean (and by Madonna) - On the last vacation we took together as a family, my little sister was obsessed with this song. She became aware of the song due to the "American Pie" movie that came out that summer. She played it over and over again on our road trip. I always loved the song, but it became tiresome after hours on the road (played over and over again). I later even learned to like the much maligned Madonna version.

"Cowboy Baby" by Kid Rock - Ah, yes. Kid Rock, that great ambassador for the State of Michigan (you can stop laughing now). This was the other song my little sister was obsessed with at this time. It too was played over and over again as our Dodge Durango rumbled down the express way.

College - 1999-2004

"Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground" by the White Stripes - This was a great song on a great album. This particular song will always remind me of my days of scrounging second-hand music stores with my friends!

"Come On Eileen" by Reel Big Fish - I love the original song, but this version reminds me of my early morning hours on the FIX. Reel Big Fish were very much in rotation during that time, and a good friend introduced me to them.

Anything by the Barenaked Ladies - I was well aware of the band during high school, but there is something about their music that has a college vibe. "The Old Apartment" and "If I Had a Million Dollars" were favorites. You've gotta love those Canadians! They actually came to play at the Breslin Student Events Center on campus, but I didn't go (another college regret).

"The White Album" by the Beatles - While I was certainly a Beatles fan long before college, it wasn't until I was studying abroad that I really discovered this album. It is as mind-blowing today as it was when it first came out. There are only a few songs on the entire two-disc set that I didn't like. While not on "The White Album," "Here Comes the Sun" and "Something" are two of my favorite Beatles songs.

"Help!" and "A Hard Day's Night" by the Beatles - I can't say enough about the albums, the title songs, or the movies. It was during my time as an intern at IBM in Rochester, Minnesota that I became a real Beatles fan.

The solo works of John, Paul, George, and Ringo - It was during college that I went beyond their Beatles days. "Imagine" by John Lennon is a favorite.

Anything by Wings - When I was a young kid, I didn't realize that Paul McCartney was in another band after the Beatles. It opened up a whole new catalog of music, and it introduced me to his relationship with Linda. What was made public about their relationship leaves me in awe to this day.

"In My Life" and "A Day in the Life" by the Beatles - The Beatles didn't get any better than these two amazing songs.

"Whoa, Nellie!" by Nellie Furtado - This whole CD was simply amazing. I listened to it the entire semester I studied abroad in Ecuador. It was one of the few that I would listen to all of the way through.

"Take on Me" by Ah Ha - This classic 1980s tune was and still is a favorite. Other 1980s classics I love include "Manic Monday" by the Bangles and "Video Killed the Radio Star" by the Buggles (The song and the video literally helped to define the MTV generation as it was the first video on MTV in 1981).

"Hey Ya!" by Outkast - This song will always remind me of my college graduation. It received tons of air time during the spring of 2004. It is simply a contagious song.

Countless others - Honorable mentions included Chelle Marie (local Austin, Texas artist), Rob Schneider (another local Austin artist), Ruby Horse, the Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Janis Joplin, Coldplay, Green Day, Dixie Chicks, Lenny Kravitz, ABBA (dance mix), salsa and meringue, Moby, Dido, and lots more. My time in Austin, Texas greatly enhanced my love of music. Once again, there is so much to say about that time period that it really will take another post.

2004 - Now

My musical tastes haven't changed as much as they have expanded. I began dating my boyfriend Brian in 2004, and he has greatly influenced my musical tastes. His love of country music has expanded my taste in music. I suppose there are hints that I would one day love country music in my love for Austin, Texas, my interest in the Dixie Chicks (at one time), and my early experience listening to Garth Brooks. I suppose one could say that the handwriting was on the wall. I still love my pop rock, but now there is room for country too.

"A Boy Named Sue," "Ring of Fire," and "I Walk the Line" by Johnny Cash - Brian loves Johnny Cash as much as I love the Beatles. Now I love Johnny Cash too! "A Boy Named Sue" will always remind me of my brother too!

"Beer for My Horses" by Toby Keith and Willie Nelson - This song is just too cool and a great drinking song!

Anything by Toby Keith - I just have a lot of respect for him as an artist and love his music (oh, and he isn't bad looking either!). It is because of Toby Keith that I looked at the Dixie Chicks in a whole new light.

"Long Black Train" by Josh Turner - This is just a haunting song and a spectacular video. Over the last few years, I've lost a few people in my family. This song reminds me of that time.

"Austin" by Blake Shelton - This song has a lot of personal meaning for me and for Brian. Austin, Texas is one of my favorite places on Earth. In addition, I lost my grandfather last summer (his name was Austin). Now the last line has even more personal meaning.

"Anything But Mine" by Kenny Chesney - This song received a lot of radio play while Brian and I lived in Houston. While we lived there, we traveled to Galveston a couple of times. This song always managed to come on. It has a lot of personal meaning for us.

"Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" by Gordon Lightfoot - This folk song made the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald famous. It is a hauntingly beautiful eulogy for all shipwrecks on the Great Lakes. When we listened to this song in Texas, it made me horribly homesick for Michigan. Now that I'm back, it reminds me of why I love Michigan so much, the Great Lakes and the people.

There are many, many more I could include, but I've already bored you enough. Thanks for listening!

Lindsey

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 10:57 PM, Blogger DADvocate said...

I love the Beatles also. Being old, I have an original Sgt. Pepper's album. Since you like the White Album, you must read Helter Skelter, the book about the Manson murders. Charlie Manson thought The Beatles were messengers from God. A scary and riveting book.

I also, like Brian, love Johnny Cash. I'm currently reading his autobiography. I have original Folsom Prison and San Quentin albums. Best of all, I have his autograph. In 1971, I was a psychiatric aide at Eastern State Psychiatric Hospital in Knoxville, TN. Cash gave a free concert for the patients and I got to attend. Afterwards, I got him to sign the back of the ticket. It may be the only ticket signed by Johhny Cash to that concert in existence. He was a very gracious man. I loved June Carter also. Her and Johnny's duet of Jackson is probably my favorite duet.

On some level, it seems everything in my life relates to a song.

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger russelllindsey said...

Everything in my life relates to a song too. That is why I spent so much time writing those pieces - and I didn't even scratch the surface.

You gave me a couple of great books to read too (Cash by Johnny Cash and Helter Skelter).

Brian would be SO envious of your autograph and collection! I love Johnny Cash too now - now that I've been properly schooled in Cash.

LOL

Lindsey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket