L .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ramblings of a Misguided Blonde

A fun, relaxing place to rant, rave, highlight interesting finds on the web, and initiate discussion on topics large and small. You may not agree, but you won't be bored! Take a look, feel free to comment, and enjoy your stay. You will also find several resources for creating your own website, blog, and web identity.

Join Associated Content Check out my published content!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Frida Kahlo and her Art

The other night late I came across the movie Frida (2002), and once again, I find myself captivated by her work. It still amazes me that I could love and identify with the work of a woman who held views that are diametrically opposed to mine and whose personal life I don't understand. Frida Kahlo was a committed communist, stayed with a husband who extensively cheated on her (although, to be fair, she knew what she was getting into when she married), and explored her bisexuality even within the context of her marriage.

Yet, there is still something in her work that I really identify with on a very basic level. Her work is intensely autobiographical, and in fact, she was the subject of much of her work (along with her husband Diego Rivera). It has been said that it is impossible to separate her life and her work; I tend to agree (although I believe that might be true for most artists and writers). Throughout her life, she suffered a series of physical disabilities and was unable to have children. These disabilities, her longing for children, and her travels with husband Diego Rivera often made interesting subjects for her work as well.

Below are links to good introductions to her life and work. The movie Frida (2002) is a great introduction to her life and work, although I'm not sure just how historically accurate it is.

Lindsey

Artchive - Frida Kahlo
IMDB - Frida (2002)

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket