L .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ramblings of a Misguided Blonde

A fun, relaxing place to rant, rave, highlight interesting finds on the web, and initiate discussion on topics large and small. You may not agree, but you won't be bored! Take a look, feel free to comment, and enjoy your stay. You will also find several resources for creating your own website, blog, and web identity.

Join Associated Content Check out my published content!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine's Day - Take It or Leave It

I'm the first to admit that I don't care much for Valentine's Day. It is true that I love the colorful, lacy, old-fashioned Valentine's Day cards and such. I, like many women, love the colors red, pink, and purple, but that's where it ends.

Valentine's Day has always been over-commercialized, but it seems to get worse every year (I would not be sorry if the Vermont Teddy Bears went away). Since when do you need a specified day of the year to show your family, friends, and of course, your significant other, just how much you love and appreciate them? I don't.

In fact, as a woman, I find some aspects of Valentine's Day downright degrading. Let me start with perhaps the biggest offender of all - the Vermont Teddy Bear commercials. Since when is it a great idea to portray women as children? All of the commercials I've seen for this company play upon the absolute worst stereotypes of women. They are all over-dramatizing getting a Teddy Bear. Some of the commercials emphasize that you can get "personalized" bears that come in nurses uniforms and such. Personally, it is kind of offensive that they only mention "traditional" jobs held by women (i.e. nurse and teacher). Not to knock nurses and teachers (they are some of the most important people in our society and I have several public school teachers in my family), but come on. How many people really want lots of things associated with their profession? Personally, I don't.

Another thing is lingerie. Nothing wrong with it as a present if you know the woman in your life would like it. Heck, it might even be a good idea due to the fact that it could be a present for you both. It is just annoying how it is expected. To some people, it sends the message that you better keep yourself up, or I'm leaving. Just think about it for a minute. Is there much lingerie out there that comes in a size larger than 14? Where's the pressure on the men?

OK. So there's my little rant on Valentine's Day. Brian (my boyfriend) and I probably won't do much to celebrate it, but that's OK. We tell each other we love each other all of the time. We don't need a special day to do so. Good luck to all of the card stores, lingerie boutiques, and flower shops out there. I know it's rough, and understand why it is promoted the way it is. Just don't expect me or my boyfriend to fall for it.

Lindsey

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 4:32 PM, Blogger DADvocate said...

From what I've read, and said, not a lot of people care about Valentine's Day. I agree with you points about the over commercialization and the degradation. Pajamagrams runs a commercial saying the best way to get her to take her clothes off is to buy her a Pajamagram.

A big problem I have with Valentine's Day is that one feels obliged to give a gift. Since it is an obligation, giving the gift doesn't have as much meaning as if you simply give one out of the blue. Indeed, gift giving on Valentine's Day can back fire as bad as no gift if your loved one expects something different of "better."

Exchange cards on Valentine's Day but do the gift giving when and where it will be more meaningful.

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger russelllindsey said...

I agree. Pajamagrams are pretty bad...

Take care! I'm very much back at it, so feel free to visit.

Lindsey

 
At 1:13 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I agree to agree. However my view is that I have grown to dislike most all holidays. All for the same reason. Over-commercialization and degradation of every holiday (christmas being the worse for this) all for the sake of making more money for companies.

Where and when can we go back to believing and enjoying what the real holiday is suppose to be about.

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Flip said...

The worst gift I can receive anytime is a stupid stuffed toy. I haven't been 5 in a VERY long time.

What are they thinking?

Flip

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger russelllindsey said...

Thanks so much for all of your comments!

DADVocate, as always, I can count on you to provide insight on the male side of things.

Jeff (aka the Bird) - I can see your point with most holidays; however, I'm lucky in that I have a family that truly spends Thanksgiving and Christmas celebrating together. Aside from those holidays, I don't enjoy the others much (except for the 4th of July fireworks). The rest are just a time to relax.

Fly - I couldn't agree with you more on your age comment! I wish that women were portrayed more as women, not girls, on TV and in advertising. I must just have to write another post about it due to something I saw on TV the other day.

Lindsey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket