L .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ramblings of a Misguided Blonde

A fun, relaxing place to rant, rave, highlight interesting finds on the web, and initiate discussion on topics large and small. You may not agree, but you won't be bored! Take a look, feel free to comment, and enjoy your stay. You will also find several resources for creating your own website, blog, and web identity.

Join Associated Content Check out my published content!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

A Look At Bill Cosby's Place in the African American Community

This analysis of Bill Cosby's activism, written by Ta-Nehisi Coates, left me with more questions than answers. There is much that I agree with in the article; at the same time, I'm at complete odds with some aspects of Coates' point of view. First off, I just want to say that I believe that Cosby's message to the black community needs to be heard. I'd even go further to say that our country, all of us, need to take Cosby's message to heart. There does need to be more focus on education, responsibility, and productivity. Father's need to take a more active role in raising their children. That said, I believe that we as a society need to ensure that the rights of fathers are protected.

Within the article, Coates stops just short of praising Cosby's efforts, and in my opinion, that's unfortunate. I have yet to find fault with Cosby's message. Coates, on the other hand, doesn't seem all that concerned with anyone outside of the African American community. That's unfortunate. Until we get rid of labels, we are never going to truly come together. The article is extremely long, especially for Internet writing, but it is a good read.

This Is How We Lost to the White Man

Lindsey

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket