L .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ramblings of a Misguided Blonde

A fun, relaxing place to rant, rave, highlight interesting finds on the web, and initiate discussion on topics large and small. You may not agree, but you won't be bored! Take a look, feel free to comment, and enjoy your stay. You will also find several resources for creating your own website, blog, and web identity.

Join Associated Content Check out my published content!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Friday, August 01, 2008

Wife in the North by Judith O'Reilly

I meant to post this yesterday evening, but I ended up getting sucked into yet another great book. I'm beginning to think that my idea of heaven is a beautiful beach with a comfortable lounge chair and endless piles of great books. Of course, Brian and all of our family would be there too. I just wish that I could trade sleep for reading. That way I could get thing done during the day and read all through the night. Anyway, the review is included below. You can find it here. The author, Judith O'Reilly, has a blog of her own, which features prominently in the book. You can find it here.

Early Reviewer Program - Wife in the North by Judith O'Reilly

Even though I'm not a mother, I could identify with the author in innumerable ways (sometimes a little too closely). I, too, have been a fish out of water and can understand why she had difficulty adjusting to her new environment; I also understand why she moved in the first place. Quite frankly, this was one of the more nuanced books I've read lately. There is a depth to her memoirs that let her humanity shine through; unfortunately, I find that rare in similar books. For me, the book built and further developed Helen Fielding's Bridget Jones. No, this book isn't about Miss Jones, but I have a feeling that Mrs. O'Reilly might have gotten along well with her (a more grown-up version) if Bridget wasn't a work of fiction.

I particularly liked her frank discussions on bullying, making friends, and the chaos that is (or was?) her life. These are private issues that are rarely discussed in public. If there was more candid discussion of such subjects, especially in early childhood, I believe that the world would be a much kinder place. I give her credit from not backing down from her blog.

The one difficulty I had with the book was language at times. Yes, it is English, but the British have many different terms that aren't used often in the United States. Many I knew from popular culture and travel to the United Kingdom; yet, there were a few that eluded me. Overall, a highly recommended book IF you like reading about the daily struggles of ordinary people.

Much more to come later. You can find my library here.


Lindsey

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket