L .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ramblings of a Misguided Blonde

A fun, relaxing place to rant, rave, highlight interesting finds on the web, and initiate discussion on topics large and small. You may not agree, but you won't be bored! Take a look, feel free to comment, and enjoy your stay. You will also find several resources for creating your own website, blog, and web identity.

Join Associated Content Check out my published content!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Sunday, January 22, 2006

The Dream - Professional Organizing

I just wanted to share an e-mail I received from a reader who was interested in my idea for a professional organizing business... It really intriqued me, and I hope she - or anyone else out there - can offer insight or advice. Please note that I included my response as well.

Lindsey

Ali -


I apologize for not getting back to you much earlier... I've been very sick.

First off, very cool that you are a librarian! I have always been a bit of a bibliophile!
Secondly, my organizing business is still very much just a dream... I am a 25 year old 2004 Michigan State graduate who is trying to get her career going again.

Here are my biggest issues with regards to starting a professional organizing business:

1. I really need a traditional job at this point in my life, if just for the benefits.

2. I have tons of ideas for such a business, but I am a bit apprehensive about putting them into action. Right now, I don't know how to do that and make a reasonable profit.


3. Start up money, start up money, start up money!


4. Local competition. While I still lived in Texas, I contacted a woman who works as a professional organizer in the Bay City/Saginaw (Michigan) area.

She told me that her husband's good paying job w/benefits allowed her the time and money to work at creating this business. While my fiance just landed a great new job, there is no way we could work it out at this point.

Please feel free to write back with ideas! I outlined everything in hopes that you may be able to provide insight.

Thank you and please keep reading my blog.

Lindsey Russell

Aletheia Turner wrote:

Hi, Lindsey,
I'm a librarian, so a fan of organizing & taxonomies.
I just played around with creating a blog tonite since my son is a glacial
eater and I finished dinner about 30 minutes ago.
When I entered my interests, yours is one of 3 blogs that came up with a
cross reference to 'professional organizing'.
Just thought I'd check in.
I've often thought of starting my own organizing consultancy but have taken
no steps to actualizing other than discussing it at cocktail parties and
daydreaming while commuting.
Let me know.
-ali

2 Comments:

At 2:54 PM, Blogger Carolyn, Simply Organized Life said...

As a organizing consultant (professional organizer) based here in Michigan, my advice to you is to really research this field before taking further steps. A lot of women fail in this industry because they think it is just like on TV and do not know how to run a business. The level of professionalism in this industry needs to be comparable to that of CPAs or business consultants. Hope this helps.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger russelllindsey said...

It does help a lot! Currently, I have a lot of ideas and have done quite a bit of research. However, I don't think that it is a viable business at this point - at least not in the Bay City, Saginaw, and Midland area.

I'd love to get a lot more information and advice from you, if at all possible.

Thanks.

Lindsey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket