L .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ramblings of a Misguided Blonde

A fun, relaxing place to rant, rave, highlight interesting finds on the web, and initiate discussion on topics large and small. You may not agree, but you won't be bored! Take a look, feel free to comment, and enjoy your stay. You will also find several resources for creating your own website, blog, and web identity.

Join Associated Content Check out my published content!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thursday, April 03, 2008

Rolling With The Punches

I don't talk much about my job search here, but I'm going to take a minute to do so. I'm incredibly frustrated. There is very little in the way of professional manufacturing positions in the Tri-City area (Midland, Bay City, and Saginaw Michigan). I'd be open to moving, but Brian's career is going as well as can be expected, and all of our family is here.

I have a background in Supply Chain Management (specifically procurement) and Spanish. I love to write and am interested in creating a career for myself in that area. At this point, I'm frustrated with getting started in the Internet writing arena. I've found lots of wonderful places in which to publish my writing online, etc. This issue is finding paying writing gigs and replacing income quickly. I'd love to hear some ideas. Obviously what I have been doing isn't working, and I feel as though my life is passing me by.

Lindsey

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 12:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know how you're feeling, Lindsey. When I lost my job in IT, the job market here was worse than it is even now. I got damn lucky finding my way into a writing career.

Thing is this: you're a talented writer. You'll find your niche, it will take some time. And if you're not finding anyone who wants to hire you to write, make your own way. Start a blog about supply chain management (there's probably a market for it) or something else.

Now... as far as immediate income... writing is never the quick fix. It's a great way to make a living, but it takes some time.

The other bad news in that regard is that, in this area of this state, there is almost no way to replace income quickly. Sad, cold reality.

You might also look at the message boards over at wahm.com. One of my friends found a steady writing gig over there, as I recall. Also, the job board at copyblogger.com is a place to check.

I'm putting together a free report on getting started with Internet writing that'll cover finding work on the freelance web sites (elance, scriptlance, guru, etc) too. That's at least 3 weeks off, though.

Hang in there, kiddo.

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger DADvocate said...

Getting started in almost any field is tough. You might try to use your Spanish skills. The need for translators is increasing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket