L .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ramblings of a Misguided Blonde

A fun, relaxing place to rant, rave, highlight interesting finds on the web, and initiate discussion on topics large and small. You may not agree, but you won't be bored! Take a look, feel free to comment, and enjoy your stay. You will also find several resources for creating your own website, blog, and web identity.

Join Associated Content Check out my published content!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Friday, August 01, 2008

Lunch with Grandma - Again

Long time readers may know that I often go out to lunch with my Grandma and/or head north to Standish to see both of my Grandmothers. The Grandma with whom I lunch is one of the most important people in my life. It isn't that I don't have a great relationship with my other Grandmother - I do, and we have rituals of our own. It is simply that my Dad's Mom and I have such history.

When I was in preschool, she would often pick me from school and take me with her on the road. For nearly 40 years she sold women's clothes door-to-door. Well, not really door-to-door. She had repeat customers upon repeat customers. Often, her customers would be the wives and daughters of farmers and small business owners. It was always an adventure to go with her to see her customers. It wasn't that my parents even needed someone to pick me up from preschool or a babysitter. She wanted to be with me and I loved being with her; I still do.

Add the fact that she and my Grandpa (my Dad's step-Dad; my Dad's Father passed away in his 40s) spent nearly everyday during the summer working at my parent's business, and it becomes apparent why I was always so close to them. During my high school years, I spent hours upon hours during the summer working with my Grandma. Many times when I would spend the night at her house, my Grandpa would have long since gone to bed. He'd always leave a note for us and often called us "his gypsies." It was true too. She was always going somewhere and I was never too far behind. In the years since he passed away, I've missed him terribly, and I know that my Grandma does too.

There are times during my lunches with my Grandma when I get a glimpse of the active, busy woman I have known most of my life. Truth be told, she is still very active at age 83. That said, she has slowed considerably in the last five years or so. For example, I thought that she would be in a great mood yesterday. She just had had a very full weekend of company and a family wedding, among other social engagements. Unfortunately, she just seemed lonely and tired. Then again, I suppose I would be too if I lived on my own at 83, spent the weekend entertaining family and friends, and then had an empty house at the end of it all.

During my childhood and well into my college years, it seemed as though she'd entertain various members of her family (she comes from a very large Ukrainian farm family) every other weekend during the summer. As a result, I got to know my Dad's extended family very well. I imagine that she misses it now that great nieces and nephews have moved away and started families of their own.

Despite my worries about her health and the inevitable, I deeply cherish the time we spend together. I might just have to write down some of those unforgettable conversations, many of which have taken place this past summer.

All in all, I'm glad that I will get to see her quite a bit next week.

Much more later, as always.

Lindsey

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 9:13 AM, Blogger Monique said...

That sounds very intresting I liked reading that wasnice to know!
-monique

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket